How do you feel when faced with decisions about products for home renovations or for a building project on your property? Just for windows alone, you have a myriad of options to consider and your final decision can impact the building’s safety, comfort, practicality and many other factors.
So, what do you do? Is it enough simply trusting the sales consultant?
For starters, you’ll make better decisions when you have enough information about the industry. Also, it’s important to opt for companies such as Van Acht who have been in the industry for a long time. That’s how you get the advice and product options that will benefit your project.
Now, when it comes to glazing, how do you know what type to pick? Continue reading to learn about the different types of glazing for windows and why you should opt for Van Acht to buy from.
Why Select Van Acht for Window Glazing?
Van Acht is part of two main regulatory bodies within the aluminium and glass industry:
- AAAMSA: The Association of Architectural Aluminium Manufacturers of South Africa was founded by eight companies in July 1974 to foster Trade and Commerce. This is in relation to those persons associated in the manufacture and installation of architectural aluminium.
- SAGGA: South African Glass and Glazing Association sets and maintains appropriate standards for proper quality and workmanship within the window glazing industry.
When you partner with us to supply your windows, you can have peace of mind about your next purchase.
Different Types of Window Glazing
Poorly glazed windows are a major culprit in energy or heat loss. Window glazing is the glass inside of a window that can be single or double glazed. There are more types of glazing that you can learn about in the section below.
Single glazing is a window or door with a single glass lite. It may be ideal to use single glazed windows if you live in hotter climates. Van Acht’s casement 30.5 windows have single glazing with 4mm float translucent glass.
Double window glazing has two sheets of glass enclosing a hermetically-sealed air space. Many homeowners prefer to install double glazed windows because they’re energy efficient and they retain heat inside your home.
You can get this option from Van Acht. They’re available on most windows. A casement window is used to describe a conventional window with a sash that is side or top hinged. These casement windows open outwards as opposed to inwards.
If you don’t want to put curtains up in your house, then tinting them will be an excellent alternative to provide you with adequate privacy.
Tinting the windows changes their colour but also increases visual privacy. The primary uses for tinted glass are reducing glare from the bright outdoors and reducing the amount of solar energy transmitted through the glass.
There are many colour options available such as clear and cool grey. If you’d like to see other available colours at Van Acht speak to one of our sales representatives to provide you with samples.
Obscure Glass – An Alternative to Tinted Glass
Obscure glass is a category name for any glass type that offers some level of a reduction in transparency. Frosted glass offer this ability to reduce visibility through the glass and is distinguished by its white opaque frosting. This type of glass is most often used in bathrooms.
This is an alternative to tinted windows because the frosted glass also provides visual privacy.
Float or annealed glass is a perfectly flat and clear pane of glass. Anneal is the process of slowly cooling hot glass to reduce residual stresses when making the glass. This is a more affordable glazing option which is commonly used with the 30.5 Casement single glazed windows.
Laminated glass is installed in both commercial and residential settings. The window is a combination of two or more sheets of glass with multiple interlayers of plastic (PVB) or resin.
The interlayers ensure that the glass is shatter proof. So, if the glass breaks the resin or PVB will hold the shards of glass together to prevent them from shooting out and injuring someone. This type of glass is used for:
- Architectural structures
Laminated glass is considered a safety glass. This type of glass window must pass an impact test and either must not break or break safely. Types of safety glass include laminated or toughened safety glass.
Van Acht’s laminated 6.38mm glass is a safe, affordable glazing option for your home’s fenestration. It also helps with sound insulation and provides some protection for your furniture and curtains. This is due to EVA film used between the sheets to block the sun’s UV rays.
A low-E glass window is a clear glass pane that has a microscopically-thin coating of metal oxide. This coating is applied to one side of the window to allow the sun’s heat and light to pass through a building. Additionally, it blocks heat from leaving a room which reduces heat loss.
Toughened glass is twice as strong as annealed glass windows. It’s similar to laminated glass because it prevents injury if the glass window breaks. When broken, it shatters into tiny pieces as opposed to large shards.
This type of window is used for:
- Unframed assembling such as frameless glass doors
- Large windows that reach floor level
Why You Should Opt for Double Glazed Windows
- Comfort: Double glazed windows will keep the temperatures in your home stable. It will keep the heat inside in winter and out during summer when it’s hot.
- Sound reduction: Did you know that double glazed windows can block out the noise in your neighbourhood? You won’t hear the dog barking next door or noisy aeroplanes flying over your house because it provides sound insulation.
- Lower energy cost: Windows can severely impact your home’s heating and cooling load. Up to 40% of a home’s heating can be lost and 87% gained through the windows. Double glazed windows can significantly reduce air infiltration.
- Security: Double glazed windows are strong so they can prevent burglars from breaking them and entering your home.
Have you considered the fact that if you choose the correct glazed windows, you can:
- Increase the value of your home
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Save on energy bills each month
That makes the information above important for any homeowner. Visit Van Acht today to shop for the best glazed windows on the market, or to talk to use if you have further questions. Or contact our team today for assistance.